Monday 20 September 2010

Day 75 - Monday 20th September 2010


What a nightmare start to the week! Woke at around 7.45 and within minutes was in the full throws of major seizure, completely out of control with twitching and jerking all down the left side and left arm in a world of its own. Had a complete workout for around 10 minutes and it stopped - then started again almost immediately just as violently. This continued for a couple of hours until Maurice called the doctors who advised a call to 999 for ambulance. All the time I just wanted it to stop but my will wasn't strong enough to have any affect - believe me when I say I was trying.

Ambulance crew arrived but couldn't find a good vein to pump in Diazepam so off we went to Maidstone Hospital and arrived with blue lights flashing - how exciting - but no neenaw neenaw though - is that because there's an extra charge for sound? Haha! As we arrived and they transferred me to one of the A&E beds the seizure stopped! It then transpired that my sugar level was only 1.7 - very low - apparently 1 is coma!!!!!!! So got a shot of glucose straight away. Not sure if the length of the seizures caused the level to drop or it could even be that the extremely low sugar level brought on the seizures in the first place.

After all the tests they felt were necessary and a wonderful time just sitting in A&E until early afternoon - not the best venue for lunch - although I have to say the cheese and ham panini from the cafe wasn't that bad - we finally got out of there! I had forgotten shoes so walked out of A&E in my socks, jimmyjam bottoms, t-shirt and dressing gown - what a sight! The outcome of all of this is that the steroids are being increased again to try and reduce swelling around tumours and anti-convulsion are being increased too. Let's see what happens. Must say I am a little worried about tomorrow morning and what it might bring.

This little episode has brought it home to me big time that I definitely cannot continue working at all - if I had one of these seizures during work - or even anytime in fact - it would be completly debilitating - more than a little worrying.

Was supposed to have my last Council meeting tonight but I have - maybe sensibly for once - advised them that I am unable to attend. While I really don't want to let anyone down, I do think that it is the right thing to do.

Photo: Pink - Bohemian Rhapsody - Funhouse Tour 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment