Monday 6 September 2010

Day 61 - Monday 6th September 2010


Well, what a day this has turned out to be.

First, Toby's birthday - but more importantly, his first day at Grammar School. So we were all up early to see him off on his first day. Maurice walked Toby to the end of the road and across the busy main road to catch the No. 12 bus to school - a first. Luckily Toby has friends that are going to the same school and are catching the same bus so he is not alone on the journey. I am so proud of him and couldn't wait to hear all about his first day when he got home. I am pleased to say that he had a great day he says and is looking forward to tomorrow ! Brilliant news.

Second, an appointment at the hospital with my oncologist - and, wait for it, he tells me that he is reading my blog ! What? Is the whole world reading my blog? Crazy! Anyway, the news is that the cancer that is on the lung is slightly bigger than I thought. The option is to have a biopsy done to check if it is HER2 positive - the same as my original breast cancer - if it proves positive to HER2 then my oncologist will try to put a special case together to get the drug Lapatinib because it has not yet been approved by NICE - a bit of a tall order. However, a big EVEN IF I do get approval to get the drug, there is no guarantee that I will react positively to the treatment. Everyone is individual and some people react well and some don't.

So, where are we? There really is no question that it is worth a go, so the plan is to have the biopsy done and check the cancer on the lung - hopefully it will be breast cancer HER2 positive and the oncologist will do his best to apply for Lapatinib as a special case. But let's not get ahead of ourselves - one step at a time - biopsy first.

Last but not least, took Toby out for dinner this evening to celebrate his birthday. A good day has been had by all today !

Photo: Monday 6th September 2010 - Toby's first day at Maidstone Grammar

No comments:

Post a Comment